News Exercise #73
1) According to the reporter’s opening statement, what is the origin of the conflict?
It is about identity and sovereignty.
2) What are the rebels fighting for?
They are fighting for the creation of a new state in Eastern Ukraine.
3) How does the reporter describe where the two old women live?
He said it was a subterranean shanty town.
4) Why are the two women living there?
The government shelled their homes and cut off their pensions.
5) From 2:19 this is what the woman said: “Our pensions aren’t being paid. Could they at least give us our pensions, so we can go and buy something to eat? It’s been seven months since they stopped our money. What can we hope for? We seem to have been somehow erased from some list, and we are nowhere.