News Exercise #74
1) The reporter used two passives to describe how people in Argentina feel about Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner. What did he say?
She is, perhaps, both loved and loathed in equal measure.
2) Where are most of her supporters, and why do they like her so much?
IN the shanty towns of Buenos Aires. Her welfare programmes and price controls are overwhelmingly popular there.
3) According to the young activist, Victoria, what does Cristina stand for?
She is a flag-bearing militant for the movement, who stands for social justice and economic independence.
4) What is another reason for her popularity, according to the museum curator?
She is always connected to Evita, and whenever you see a picture of Cristina, there is a picture of Evita behind her. He also said that to be connected with Evita is to be connected with a very important part of their society.
5) From 2:15, here is the reporter’s final statement: Unable to stand for re-election, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner must salvage something from her last few months in office if she’s to emanate her heroine, and not become another footnote in Argentina’s turbulent political history.